Baseball is a very popular bat-ball game. There are two teams; each team consists of nine players. They take turns on batting and fielding. Some popular legends say that Abner Doubleday invented baseball in Cooperstown, New York, in 1939. Even though Cartwright was known as the father of baseball but Mosses Fleetwood was known as the first professional baseball player. The first recorded contest was held in 1834. According to some historians, the English game of Rounders’ gave birth to Baseball.
The crux of the contest is the battle between the pitcher and the batter. A pitcher is a player from the fielding team who pitches (throws) the bowl at the batter. A catcher is a fielder positioned behind the batter. The rest of the fielding team is in the outfield.
- If an innings has three outs, it comes to an end.
- A batter can be out in four ways, and those are a strikeout, catch out, tag out or force out.
- If a ball leaves the area of play outside the foul line, the batter cannot run.
- If a ball leaves the area of play from the outfield, it is a home run.
- It’s a strike only when the catcher gathers the ball cleanly.
The baseball field is a wide area with diamond-shaped circuits, which have four bases. Major League Baseball mandate a minimum distance of 250 feet and recommends the least distance 320 feet at foul poles and 400 feet at center field.
- Four Major Championships
- The Premier 12
- The World Baseball Classic
- U12, U15, U18, U21
- Baseball World Cups
- Baseball Equipment
To play Baseball, we require some special equipment. These are
- Baseball – An official baseball is spherical in shape, which is about 9 inches in circumference and weighs 149 grams. It is a piece of cork or rubber wrapped in yarn and then tightly stitched in horsehide.
- Bat – A baseball bat is a solid piece of wood. It is 2.75 inches in diameter at its thickest part known as barrel and maximum 42 inches in length.
- Fielding Gloves – Essential equipment for all fielders. The player’s position the types of gloves of each fielder.
- Batting Gloves – These gloves required to protect batters hands from sliding injuries and blisters.
- Cleats – All baseball players wear the special type of shoes known as cleats. These shoes have spikes near the toe.
- Helmet – It is protective gear, to protect the player from severe head injuries, in case of fastball accidents.
- Catchers Equipment – A catcher, must have protective gears to protect his major body parts. Catcher’s gears include a helmet with a face guard, a chest protector, a shin guard, knee guards and specially padded gloves.
- Baseball Leagues
Like many other sports, it is a professionally played game. There are many baseball leagues all over the world. The regions which have their leagues are USA and Canada, Mexico, Australia, European Countries, Central Americas, South Americas and Caribbean Nations as well. Some Asian countries have their leagues too.
- Major League Baseball Teams
- Baltimore Orlando
- Boston Red Sox
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- National League Teams
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Atlanta Braves
- Chicago Cubs
- Cincinnati Reds
- Colorado Rockies
Despite being the 7th most popular sport in the world, it has yet to cement a spot in the Olympics. It was first added in the 1992 Olympics, but in 2008 it got dropped. Cuba won the most Olympic gold (3). There is a proposal being made to include baseball in the Olympics. To get more information about baseball, simple Google “Best Baseball Blogs” and get relevant data you are looking for by reading such blogs.