Who doesn’t get all keyed up whenever the holiday season arrives? I’m sure all of us turn akin to giddy kids at the prospect of the multitudes of gifts and food we’ll see sprawled around the house (even if it is also means dealing with a lot of expenditures and weight gain).
This is also the time to bring out your medicines, as well as your wellness and beauty products, because the Philippines can be a toxic place during the holiday season, and this is when your immune system can be extremely vulnerable—an enticing victim for diseases to prey on.
Consider these factors:
- You’re more prone to stress. After all, you’re forced to attend tons of parties and get-togethers, and let’s admit it: situations like these, when they happen frequently and consecutively, can be rather taxing. Then you also constantly worry about the expenses. These mental disturbances, consequently, can turn to physical maladies, since our immune systems are directly linked to our stress levels.
- You have a poorer diet. Sure, there’s an abundance of food during the holiday season, but that doesn’t mean your body is receiving the nutrients it needs. Most of the food during this time, after all, are rich in carbohydrates—and sugar can also distress the immune system.
- ‘Tis the season of giving… colds and flu. Unfortunately, the holidays overlap with the cold and flu period. Since you’re usually in enclosed, dense spaces (and with several people, at that), fresh air is hard to get by. It also means that it will be easier for germs and illnesses to spread around.
But don’t let these factors dampen your mood during the holiday season. Make sure to fully enjoy these festivities, and to savor every minute of it with your friends and families. All you have to do is shield yourself against diseases.
Here are 8 hacks for a stronger immune system during the holiday season.
- Don’t forget your proteins.
Don’t just lavish yourself with sweets and carbohydrates. Be conscious of what you’re eating. Resist another slice of chocolate cake. Instead, seize an extra portion of chicken or fish. Your immune system will weaken if you just focus on the carbs—your body direly needs your protein as well.
- Boost yourself with power foods.
These so-called power foods can lift you up when you’re feeling tired. They also help in fending off infections. Some of them are:
- sweet potatoes,
- garlic, and
- Digest your meals properly.
Take a break—you won’t run out of food. It’s not healthy to feel stuffed all the time. Your digestive system can be quite worn down during this season, so look after it too. Diseases like constipation, diarrhea, and bloating can weaken the immune system.
This should be obvious. Never skip your water! You can also opt for green and white teas, since they contain several antioxidants.
- Stuff yourself with Vitamin C.
Want to safeguard yourself against the looming threats of colds and flu? Then this is the best way.
Most of us are very busy during the holiday season, but try to make time for working out. This is, needless to say, one of the best ways in keeping your immune system in check.
- Wash your hands frequently.
Always, always wash your hands thoroughly. It helps in keeping those germs and bacteria at bay.
- Get enough rest and sleep.
Don’t let your hectic schedule deprive you of sleep. You don’t want to let stress get the better of you. You also need to give your body the chance to repair and replenish itself.
The holiday season is rife with celebration and rejoicing. Unfortunately, it’s also a magnet for diseases. Take out your wellness and beauty products. In the Philippines—and anywhere else, really—it’s essential that you fortify your immune system as well as you can, so that you can get the best out of the festivities during the holiday season.